Product Engineer Opportunity
Product Engineer will have technical ownership for DSA Detection’s consumable and checkpoint line of products used on trace detection instruments. These detectors are used in high security and high threat applications worldwide. This responsibility includes but is not limited to new product design and development, quality control of manufactured and purchased products, and cost reduction.
The job will include 1)taking responsibility for the development of new DSA Detection products from concept to launch, working closely with sourcing and production; and 2)responsibility for refining existing products, from concept to project completion.
Extensive small team project experience is a requirement.
Core responsibility is to understand the application of the product as it relates to IMS/ITMS use and to develop consumable and checkpoint products that are engineered to perform within acceptable specifications.
The position requires close cross-function interaction between marketing, sales and operations (including sourcing and production) to successfully develop product development from concept to launch.
A core responsibility will be to work with sales and customer service to analyze and resolve any reported customer quality issues.
Product engineer will also work closely with the sourcing and production managers maintain the quality system and establish new standards as needed for all manufactured and purchased products.
Candidate should have an engineering degree preferably mechanical engineering with a materials science concentration.
ABOUT THE JOB
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Obtain and maintain a complete technical understanding of all DSA products
• Manage numerous concurrent small projects. Take products from conception to production.
• Responsible for new product specification and design.
• Implement current product design changes and cost reductions.
• Assists Sourcing Manager as primary supplier technical point of contact for all products.
• Track and communicate project status using Project Management best practices.
• Significant experience managing projects using standard industry methodology such as the PMI 5 phases of project management
• A key participant in the company’s Lean Manufacturing program
• Evaluating current products for design improvements that lead to better performance or cost reduction
• Research and monitor aging of production lots with the goal of lengthening shelf life without compromising performance.
• Review DSA supplier inspection results and resolve discrepant material with Sourcing Manager.
• Review supplier self-inspection results.
• Work with production to develop, audit and ensure production test results meet established quality levels.
• Monitor relevant patents and patent applications
• Work with Sourcing Manager and suppliers to develop and maintain quality standards for all purchased products.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate as a member of the Management Core as required.
• Perform other related duties within job scope as required.
• Occasional travel to suppliers and/or customers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• BS degree in engineering, preferably mechanical engineering with a materials background.
• Advanced degree desirable. Must demonstrate business planning and analytical skills.
• Attention to details.
• Self starter.
• Excellent written / verbal communication skills.
• Must be able to deal with people at all levels.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Project desirable.
• Understanding of the interaction between all departments in a small company where boundaries are not necessarily firm.
• Project Management Profession (PMP) Certified desirable
• Lean Manufacturing certification desirable
ABOUT THE COMPANY
DSA Detection is the industry leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of consumables used in the operation and maintenance of electronic trace detection (ETD) instruments. DSA products are used to protect life and secure high threat infrastructure around the world from terrorist attacks. Domestically, DSA products can be found in every commercial United States airport as well as every Government agency and department operating ETD instruments. Internationally, DSA products can be found everywhere the threat exists to governments, commerce and peaceful existence. Drawing on over 60 years of combined experience in the application of trace detection technology, the management of DSA shares a vision that has set the standard for industry practices of service and support for the last decade. Today, as our product offering expands, we look for an individual who shares that same vision of providing the best ETD consumables available supported by superior service.
DSA Detection operates from offices located in North Andover, Massachusetts with a primary fulfillment and distribution center in Salt Lake City. DSA also has offices in London, Montreal, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Beijing. We have a small, dedicated, and highly motivated workforce who understands our customer base and the importance of delivering top-quality products and great customer service.DSA Detection looks forward to the challenges posed by the new technologies of the future and will continue our long tradition of providing our customers with the best value in the market through design excellence and superior customer support to meet our customers’ needs. DSA offers the most knowledge regarding product use while ensuring highest quality products available through stringent manufacturing processing and quality procedures.
No sponsorship available for this position. Limited relocation assistance may be available.